Oct 29, 2012

{Review} of Through to You by Emily Hainsworth

Through To You by Emily Hainsworth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

GENRE: YA Science Fiction
THEME: Angst/Romance
RECEIVED: ALA
AUTHORS BLOG: Emily Hainsworths Site

BLURB:
Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. He’d give anything to have just one more glimpse of her. But when Cam visits the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees an apparition. Her name is Nina, and she’s a girl from a parallel world. When Cam follows here there and makes an unbelievable discovery, it’s as if all his wildest dreams have come true. But things are very different in this other world. Nina is hiding a secret, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with the truth, he’s forced to make a choice that will change his life forever.

REVIEW:
Through to You by Emily Hainsworth was not particularly what I was expecting, the story was very well written and definitely hits the emotional notes for the loss of a loved one. But I felt that the synopsis pretty much gave away everything that happened in the book. I’m all for mystery and guessing what’s going to happen next and was a bit surprised on predicting most of the story.

Through to You follows a grieving Camden Pike, his girlfriend was tragically lost in a car accident and he is pretty much lost. After giving up his friends, his family and his love for football all he had was Viv. Now that she’s gone he feels nothing until one day he meets Nina. He discovers with her that there might be a place for second chances, but not everything is the same, especially the people.

Cam is a mess through half of the book, not only because the loss of Viv, but his mother is never home and his father abandoned them. He also was injured a while back and gave up trying to heal to play football again. It’s a really tough life he lives and the readers feel it. Through the authors writing I felt the emotional break and the sadness, I wanted him to finally have some happiness. I believe many people in Cam’s situation would probably act the same, seeing that person you lost alive and wishing there was a way to be able to be with them. He looses the sight of reality for a bit but the story is about him learning how to move forward.

Nina, I think her character was the strongest along with her brother Owen. They brought life and a bit more happiness into Cam’s. I felt bad for Nina most of the time because as the reader I knew she was right and Cam just couldn’t believe her. She’s the voice of reason all the way to the end.
Viv, well a lot happens with her but overall I didn’t like her character and felt that she just frustrated me with how fake she was. It was hard to compare both Viv’s since the readers only got glimpses and descriptions from Cam about his Viv. In the end I didn’t care for her much and though the story revolved around her and Cam being together, their scenes were just stale.

Overall the writing was great and I liked the concept of two worlds, even though I wished there was a reason for the portal, I enjoyed the differences that occurred on each side. There are highs and lows but this story is really about trying to recover from losing a loved one and being happy that you were able to meet that person. The ending was strong and had a great conclusion that was absolutely perfect for this type of story.


RECOMMENDATION:
This novel is a young adult story with high emotional elements. Fans of Silver by Talia Vance and Velveteen by Daniel Marks will enjoy Through to You by Emily Hainsworth.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I have this from Edelweiss, and I better read it soon :) nice rev!

    ReplyDelete